World Pharmacists Day is an annual event that honors and recognizes the vital contributions of pharmacists to global health. It is celebrated on September 25th every year, the date that marks the founding of the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) in 1912. The theme for World Pharmacists Day 2023 is “Pharmacy strengthening health systems”, which highlights the role of pharmacists in improving health outcomes and quality of care.
Why is World Pharmacists Day important?
Pharmacists are essential members of the healthcare team, who provide a range of services and expertise to patients and communities. They are responsible for ensuring the safe and effective use of medicines, providing information and education, conducting screening and testing, administering vaccinations, prescribing and managing medications, and conducting research and innovation. Pharmacists also play a key role in strengthening health systems by improving access, affordability, quality, and safety of medicines and health products.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there are about 4.7 million pharmacists and pharmaceutical personnel worldwide, who work in various settings such as community pharmacies, hospitals, clinics, academia, industry, and government. However, there is still a shortage of pharmacists in many countries, especially in low- and middle-income countries, where access to medicines and health services is limited. Therefore, World Pharmacists Day aims to raise awareness of the importance of pharmacists and their role in advancing global health.
How is World Pharmacists Day celebrated?
World Pharmacists Day is celebrated by various activities and events organized by pharmacists and pharmacy organizations around the world. Some examples of these activities are:
- Hosting seminars, workshops, webinars, or conferences on topics related to pharmacy and health systems.
- Organizing campaigns, rallies, or marches to advocate for the rights and recognition of pharmacists.
- Distributing flyers, posters, stickers, or badges to promote the theme and message of World Pharmacists Day.
- Creating videos, podcasts, blogs, or social media posts to share stories and experiences of pharmacists and their impact on health.
- Offering free or discounted services or products to patients or customers to demonstrate the value of pharmacy.
- Participating in volunteer or charity activities to support local or global health causes.
What are some official messages for World Pharmacists Day 2023?
The official messages for World Pharmacists Day 2023 are:
- FIP’s message: “Let pharmacies do more. Pharmacy is essential for access to health, a safe supply chain and the responsible use of medicines. FIP supports the profession in these key roles, but is also working to transform practice, science, education and workforce with the FIP Development Goals and aligned resources.”
- WHO’s message: “Pharmacists are critical for universal health coverage. They ensure that people have access to quality medicines and health products at an affordable price. They also provide essential services such as counselling, screening, testing, vaccination, prescribing and dispensing. WHO works with pharmacists and pharmacy associations to strengthen health systems and improve health outcomes.”
- UN’s message: “Pharmacists are champions of health for all. They contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals by improving access to medicines and health services, promoting rational use of medicines, preventing antimicrobial resistance, supporting innovation and research, and enhancing health literacy and empowerment.”
World Pharmacists Day 2023 is a special occasion to celebrate the role of pharmacy in strengthening health systems. It is also an opportunity to appreciate and support the hard work and dedication of pharmacists around the world. By joining the World Pharmacists Day campaign, you can help spread the word about the importance of pharmacists and their impact on global health.