Mother’s Day is a special occasion to honor and celebrate the mothers and mother figures in our lives. It is observed on the second Sunday of May every year in many countries around the world. In 2023, Mother’s Day will fall on May 14.
The history of Mother’s Day can be traced back to ancient times, when people worshipped mother goddesses and held festivals to honor them. In modern times, the origin of Mother’s Day is attributed to two women: Anna Jarvis and Julia Ward Howe.
Anna Jarvis was an American social activist who campaigned for the creation of a national Mother’s Day in the early 20th century. She wanted to commemorate her own mother, Ann Reeves Jarvis, who had organized “Mother’s Day Work Clubs” to improve the health and welfare of mothers and children. Anna Jarvis organized the first official Mother’s Day celebration in 1908 at a church in West Virginia. She also petitioned the U.S. Congress to declare Mother’s Day a national holiday, which was finally granted in 1914 by President Woodrow Wilson.
Julia Ward Howe was an American poet and abolitionist who wrote the famous “Battle Hymn of the Republic”. She also proposed the idea of a “Mother’s Day for Peace” in 1870, after witnessing the horrors of the Civil War and the Franco-Prussian War. She envisioned a day when mothers would unite to protest against war and violence, and promote peace and harmony. She wrote a “Mother’s Day Proclamation” that called for women to “rise up through the ashes and devastation” and “say firmly: We will not have great questions decided by irrelevant agencies”.
The significance of Mother’s Day is to appreciate and acknowledge the role of mothers in our lives. Mothers are the ones who give us life, nurture us, teach us, support us, and love us unconditionally. They are the pillars of strength and inspiration for many of us. They also face many challenges and sacrifices in their journey of motherhood. Mother’s Day is an opportunity to express our gratitude and affection to them, and make them feel special and valued.
There are many ways to celebrate Mother’s Day and show our mothers how much we care for them. Some common ways are:
- Giving them flowers, cards, chocolates, jewelry, or other gifts that they like.
- Cooking them a delicious breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or taking them out to their favorite restaurant.
- Spending quality time with them, watching a movie, playing games, or going for a walk.
- Pampering them with a spa treatment, a massage, or a manicure.
- Writing them a heartfelt letter, poem, or song that expresses our feelings.
- Calling them or video chatting with them if we live far away from them.
- Doing some household chores or errands for them that they usually do.
- Donating to a charity or cause that they support or care about.
Here are some quotes that capture the essence of Mother’s Day and can be used to wish our mothers:
- “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.” – Unknown
- “The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.” – James E. Faust
- “Motherhood is the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force. It’s huge and scary – it’s an act of infinite optimism.” – Gilda Radner
- “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face.” – George Eliot
- “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.” – Unknown
- “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” – Elder M. Russell Ballard
- “The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” – Theodore Hesburgh
- “God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.” – Rudyard Kipling
- “The best place to cry is on a mother’s arms.” – Jodi Picoult
Wishes for Mother’s Day:
- You are the best mom in the world and I love you more than words can say. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Thank you for being my mom, my friend, and my hero. You are amazing and I admire you so much. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You have given me so much love, care, and support throughout my life. I am so grateful for everything you do for me. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You are not only a mother, but a teacher, a mentor, a guide, and a role model. You have taught me so many valuable lessons and inspired me to follow my dreams. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You always know how to make me smile, laugh, and feel better. You have a special gift of spreading joy and kindness wherever you go. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You are the most beautiful and elegant woman I know. You have a style and grace that is unmatched. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You are the strongest and bravest woman I know. You have faced many challenges and overcome many obstacles with courage and determination. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You are the most generous and compassionate woman I know. You have a heart of gold and a spirit of service. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You are the most fun and adventurous woman I know. You have a zest for life and a sense of humor that is contagious. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You are the most wise and intelligent woman I know. You have a wealth of knowledge and a depth of insight that is remarkable. Happy Mother’s Day!
Happy Mother’s Day to all the wonderful mothers out there! You deserve all the love and happiness in the world!