India’s young opener Shubman Gill continued his impressive form as he struck a sublime hundred against Australia on day three of the fourth Test in Ahmedabad. India reached 188 for two in their first innings at tea, still trailing the Steve Smith-led side by 292 runs.
Gill’s unbeaten knock of 103 included 10 fours and one six. He was well supported by Cheteshwar Pujara (42), as the duo stitched a 113-run partnership. Pujara’s resistance came to an end when he was trapped leg-before by spinner Todd Murphy.
Gill’s innings was a testament to his sheer talent, technique, and composure. He dealt with the Australian bowling attack with ease and confidence, and did not allow the visitors to gain any momentum.
Earlier in the innings, Rohit Sharma was dismissed for 35 off the last ball of the 21st over, ending a promising 74-run partnership between him and Gill.
Australia had earlier made 480 in their first innings, riding on fifties from Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, and captain Steve Smith. For India, Washington Sundar and Shardul Thakur were the pick of the bowlers, as they picked up three wickets each.
As India looks to stage a comeback in the series, Gill’s hundred is a big positive for the team. The youngster has shown immense potential and has been earmarked as the next big thing in Indian cricket.
Australia first innings: 480 all out in 167.2 overs.
India first innings: 188 for 2 in 63 overs (Rohit Sharma 35, Shubman Gill batting 103, Cheteshwar Pujara 42; Matthew Kuhnemann 1/20, Todd Murphy 1/18).
Factors that Contributed to Gill’s Success
Several factors contributed to Shubman Gill’s success in the second Test match against Australia. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Excellent Technique: Gill’s technique is one of his biggest strengths. He has a solid defense and plays with a straight bat, which allows him to play both spin and pace bowling effectively.
- Composure and Control: Gill showed excellent composure and control throughout his innings. He did not get carried away with the situation and played each ball on its merit.
- Shot Selection: Gill’s shot selection was excellent. He picked the right balls to hit and played with great precision.
- Partnership with Pujara: Gill’s partnership with Cheteshwar Pujara was crucial in India’s victory. The two batsmen complemented each other well and built a solid foundation for the innings.
- Mental Toughness: Gill showed great mental toughness in the match. He did not get frustrated when the Australian bowlers tried to unsettle him and stayed focused on his game.
In conclusion, Shubman Gill’s century in the Ahmedabad Test against Australia has been a major talking point in the cricketing world. His performance has shown that he is a world-class talent who is here to stay. With India still trailing behind Australia, the team will be hoping that Gill can continue his fine form and help India stage a comeback in the series.