Hanuman Jayanti is a prominent festival of Hindus which is celebrated across the world by Hindu devotees. This day is dedicated to Lord Hanuman, the monkey god and the ardent devotee of Lord Rama. Hanuman Jayanti marks the birth anniversary of Hanuman, who was born on the full moon day of Chaitra month. People worship Lord Hanuman and offer prayers to him on this auspicious day. This day is also known as Hanuman Janmotsav.
Date and Time of Hanuman Jayanti 2023
In the year 2023, Hanuman Jayanti will be celebrated on April 6, 2023. The Purnima Tithi or the full moon day will begin at 11:49 pm on April 4, 2023 and end at 12:34 am on April 6, 2023. The best time to perform puja and rituals for Hanuman Jayanti are as follows:
- 06:06 AM to 07:40 AM
- 10:49 AM to12:23 PM
- 12:23 PM to 01:58 PM
- 01:58 PM to 03:32 PM
- 05:07 PM to 06:41 PM
- 06:41 PM to 08:07 PM
Significance of Hanuman Jayanti
Hanuman Jayanti has a great significance among Hindus as Lord Hanuman is one of the most revered and worshiped gods. He is considered as an incarnation of Lord Shiva and the son of Vanar Raj Kesari and Anjani Devi. He is also known as Bajrangbali, Maruti Nandan, Sankat Mochan, Pawan Putra, Anjani Nandan and many other names.
Hanuman is a symbol of power, strength, courage, devotion, loyalty and wisdom. He is believed to have carried a whole mountain on his shoulder to bring the Sanjeevani herb for Lakshman, who was wounded by Ravana’s son Indrajit. He also played a crucial role in finding Sita, who was abducted by Ravana, and burning Lanka with his fiery tail. He is also one of the Ashta Chiranjeevis or the eight immortals who are still alive on earth.
Hanuman Jayanti is celebrated to honor the birth and deeds of Lord Hanuman and to seek his blessings for success, happiness and protection from evil.
Rituals and Celebrations of Hanuman Jayanti
On Hanuman Jayanti, devotees wake up early in the morning and take a bath. They wear clean clothes and visit temples dedicated to Lord Hanuman. They offer flowers, fruits, sweets, sindoor (vermilion), oil and betel leaves to the idol or image of Hanuman. They also chant mantras, recite hymns, sing bhajans and perform aarti for Hanuman.
Some devotees also observe a fast on this day and abstain from eating any food or drinking water until sunset. They break their fast after offering prayers to Hanuman in the evening. Some devotees also read the Ramayana or the Sundara Kanda, which narrates the adventures of Hanuman in Lanka.
In some regions of India, such as Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, Hanuman Jayanti is celebrated for 41 days starting from Chaitra Purnima and ending on Krishna Paksha Dashami of Vaishakha month. During this period, devotees recite the Hanuman Chalisa daily and perform special pujas for Hanuman.
In some states like Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, Hanuman Jayanti is celebrated on different dates according to their regional calendars. In Tamil Nadu, it is known as Hanumath Jayanthi and is celebrated on Margashirsha Amavasya (new moon day). In Karnataka, it is known as Hanuman Vratam and is celebrated on Margashirsha Shukla Paksha Trayodashi (thirteenth day of bright fortnight).
Benefits of Worshipping Lord Hanuman
Worshipping Lord Hanuman can bring many benefits to his devotees. Some of the benefits are:
- Hanuman worship helps one stay disciplined, achieve greater heights in life and career.
- Hanuman prayers also help one overcome bad habits like corruption, adultery, laziness, fickle mindedness, procrastination etc. It brings in confidence and stable mind.
- Hanuman puja resolves mental issues and traumas and brings back happiness and joy to one’s life.
- Hanuman ji is the symbol of health and power. He can help one overcome health issues and diseases and grant longevity.
- Hanuman ji is one of the greatest scholars and masters of Vedas and music. He can help one excel in academics and examinations.
- Hanuman ji is the epitome of valor and courage. He can help one boost confidence and morale and face any challenges in life.
- Hanuman ji is an expert of astrology and has mastered the art directly from Lord Brahma. He can help one overcome Shani Dasha and other malefic effects of planets.
- Hanuman ji is the greatest devotee of Lord Rama and an incarnation of Lord Shiva. He can help one attain the blessings of both Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva by worshipping him.
How to Worship Lord Hanuman
There are many ways to worship Lord Hanuman and please him. Some of the common methods are:
- Chanting his name or mantra with devotion and faith. Some of the popular mantras for Hanuman ji are:
- Om Ham Hanumate Namah
- Om Namo Bhagvate Hanumate Namah
- Ashta Siddhi Nav Nidhi Ke Daata As Var Deen Janki Maata
- Reciting his hymns or stotras with love and reverence. Some of the famous stotras for Hanuman ji are:
- Hanuman Chalisa
- Bajrang Baan
- Sankat Mochan Hanuman Ashtak
- Sundara Kanda
- Offering him flowers, fruits, sweets, sindoor, oil and betel leaves as prasad or naivedya.
- Performing aarti or waving a lamp in front of his idol or image with devotion.
- Reading or listening to his stories or leelas from Ramayana or other scriptures.
- Meditating on his form or qualities with concentration and devotion.
Here are some examples of messages, quotes, wishes and greetings to share on Happy Hanuman Jayanti:
- May Lord Hanuman bless you with strength, courage and wisdom on this auspicious day. Happy Hanuman Jayanti to you and your family!
- On this holy occasion of Hanuman Jayanti, I pray to Lord Hanuman to fill your life with joy, peace and prosperity. Jai Bajrangbali!
- Let us celebrate the birth of Lord Hanuman, the greatest devotee of Lord Rama and the symbol of power and devotion. Happy Hanuman Jayanti to you!
- May the grace of Lord Hanuman be with you always. May he protect you from all evils and obstacles in life. Happy Hanuman Jayanti!
- Wishing you a very happy and blessed Hanuman Jayanti. May you follow the path of righteousness and devotion like Lord Hanuman. Jai Shri Ram!
- On this auspicious day of Hanuman Jayanti, I wish you all the success and happiness in life. May Lord Hanuman shower his blessings upon you and your loved ones. Om Ham Hanumate Namah!
- Hanuman is the epitome of loyalty, courage and wisdom. He is the remover of sorrows and difficulties. He is the best friend and guide. Happy Hanuman Jayanti to you!
- May you have the blessings of Lord Hanuman on this special day. May he give you the strength to overcome any challenges in life. Happy Hanuman Jayanti!
- Let us remember the deeds and teachings of Lord Hanuman on this sacred day. He taught us to serve God with love and faith. He taught us to be humble and brave. Happy Hanuman Jayanti!
- On this joyous occasion of Hanuman Jayanti, I wish you a very happy and prosperous life. May Lord Hanuman fulfill all your desires and wishes. Jai Sankat Mochan!
Hanuman Jayanti is a special day to celebrate the birth and glory of Lord Hanuman, the monkey god and the ardent devotee of Lord Rama. He is an incarnation of Lord Shiva and a symbol of power, strength, courage, devotion, loyalty and wisdom. He is also one of the Ashta Chiranjeevi or the eight immortals who are still alive on earth. Worshipping him can bring many benefits to his devotees such as success, happiness, health, knowledge, confidence and protection from evil. He is also the remover of obstacles and difficulties in life. On this auspicious day, let us pray to Lord Hanuman with love and faith and seek his blessings for ourselves and our loved ones.